History of the WCPAAA
Weatherford Police Department began offering a Citizen Police Academy in 1992. Graduates of the first Academy expressed an interest in an ongoing program of instruction and support.
In January 1995, eighteen graduates of previous academies became charter members of the Weatherford Citizen Police Academy Alumni Association (WCPAAA).
Purpose of WCPAAA
The purpose of this organization is not only to promote a positive image of law enforcement, but also support and assist the Weatherford Police Department when requested.
McGruff the Crime Dog®
McGruff® has been a great asset for the Police Department and the citizens of Parker County. In 2001 McGruff® made regular appearances at police, community and school functions as well as parades and fingerprinting events.
McGruff® helps the officers and WCPAAA members inform the citizens of crime prevention, stranger danger and other important safety issues.
The WCPAAA volunteers numerous hours of service to the City of Weatherford and the Police Department. Events include:
WCPAAA Members of the Year
- Citizen Police Academy
- Lost Children Booth at the Peach Festival
- Traffic control at parades & other special events
- City of Weatherford Fall Festival
- Extra security at the Peach Festival & Christmas on the Square
- Patrol neighborhoods as extra "eyes and ears" and bring potential problems to the attention of law enforcement
- Fingerprinting at WISD schools
- Spring Clean-Up