Weatherford Economic Development Board
Usual Meeting Dates & Times
Monthly on the first Friday of each month at 8:00 a.m.
Chandor Gardens Great Room, 711 West Lee Avenue
Powers & Duties
- Act in an advisory capacity on policy matters to the city council for the city comprehensive economic development program including the management and implementation of an effective program of marketing for the promotion of the city and the community to business and industry and overall marketing of the city as a profitable business environment.
- Engage in any lawful activity and to perform such other economic development activities, specifically designed to lead the promotion, marketing, attraction and retention of new and existing primary commercial, industrial and manufacturing businesses to the city of Weatherford, within the corporate limits of the city, Texas or its environs: 1. Including attraction of new business and industry, retention/expansion of existing businesses, small business and entrepreneurial assistance; and 2. The marketing of industrial, retail & commercial sites; and 3. The identification of target commercial and industrial enterprises.
- Use its influence to promote programs, services and efforts of the comprehensive economic development program in the community, the state, and globally: 1. Lead in the research and compilation of comprehensive target industry information and resources; and 2. Provide real estate, incentives, demographics and economic indicator resources and information; and 3. Maintain knowledge of inventory of sites and buildings, economic and community data, workforce and local business trends for target industry needs.
- Become familiar with state and local economic development laws, programs and resources.
- Recommend policies and objectives governing economic development programs to the city council as deemed necessary by the board.
- Review and recommend to the city council business assistance and incentives negotiations and economic development agreements for qualified and targeted businesses.
- Organize and host the annual Industrial/Manufacturer Appreciation Lunch and the Annual ECOSummit strategic planning meeting. The Weatherford economic development board may solicit paid sponsorships to off-set costs of these events, not otherwise provided for in the annual department operations budget.
- Co-operate with member organizations and other public and private groups in advancing the best interests of the city and the Weatherford economic development board.
- Review and adopt an annual goals and marketing plan for the Weatherford economic development department following preparation by the economic development director.
- Review the annual proposed operating budget following preparation by the economic development director, and make any recommendations to the city council it deems necessary.
- Manage and implement the Business Retention and Expansion (BRE) program to assist local, existing business and industry and retain/expand existing primary and secondary jobs: 1. Develop and maintain records, database(s) and files of BRE program, develop and publish the Manufacturers Guide of existing primary businesses.
- To establish advisory committee(s), not having and exercising the authority of the Weatherford economic development board in the management of the board, as appointed by the board. Any member of a committee may be removed by the board whenever, in their judgment, the best interests of the board shall be served by such removal. Established committees include the Business Retention and Expansion (BRE) Committee in partnership with the Weatherford Chamber of Commerce, and the Business Leadership Committee (BLC).