Alcohol Sales


  • 11/04/08 - City of Weatherford citizens voted to approve Proposition 1 - The legal sale of mixed beverages in restaurants by food and beverage certificate holders only; and Proposition 2 - The legal sale of all alcoholic beverages for off-premise consumption only.
  • 11/10/08 - City Council adopted Ordinance 403-2007-78 establishing distance requirements from schools, churches and hospitals, and establishing permit requirements for a City alcohol permit.
  • Proposition 1 and Proposition 2 are only effective within the corporate boundaries of the City of Weatherford at the time of the 11/04/08 election. All annexations taking place after that date retain the wet/dry status in place before their annexation into the City of Weatherford.
  • 10/12/21 - City Council adopted Ordinance O2021-54 amending Title V, Chapter 9, "Alcoholic Beverage" of the City Code. This amendment brought the City Code inline with State Law primarily in regard to hours of sales and childcare faciliities.

What is the submittal process? 

- In general, the submittal process is as follows:

  • Applicant retrieves application from TABC
  • Applicant submits application to City Secretary at 303 Palo Pinto Street
  • City verifies distance and zoning; certifies the application usually in 5-7 days
  • Applicant and TABC process the remainder of the application; TABC estimates 6-8 weeks for approval

Who regulates the sale of alcoholic beverages in the State of Texas? 
The production, distribution and sale of alcohol within the State of Texas is regulated by the Texas Alcoholic Beverages Commission (“TABC”) and the TABC receives their statutory authority to do so from the Texas Alcoholic Beverages Code. To obtain further information regarding the TABC, please click the following link to access their official website:

What are the distance requirements for the sale of alcohol from schools, childcare facility, churches, and public hospitals? 
In general, no alcoholic beverage may be sold within three hundred (300’) feet of a public or private school, childcare facility, church, or public hospital. The Texas Alcoholic Beverages Code and City of Weatherford Ordinance O2021-54 establish the manner by which these distance requirements are measured. 

Church and Public Hospital Distance Requirements:

The measurement of the distance between the place of business where alcoholic beverages are sold and a church or public hospital shall be along the property lines of the street fronts and from front door to front door, and in a direct line across intersections.

School and Childcare Facility Distance Requirements:  

The measurement of distance between the place of business where alcoholic beverages are sold and a public or private school, or childcare facility shall be in a direct line from the property line of the public or private school, or childcare facility to the property line of the place of business, and in a direct line across intersections.


  • Are childcare facilities included in the distance requirements?
    • Childcare facilities are included in the distance requirements and are measured in the same manner as public or private schools.
  • Can Churches or Schools petition for increased distance requirements to one thousand (1,000’) feet?
    • No. The Texas Education Code only allows cities over a population of 900,000 to increase the distance requirements to 1,000 feet.
  • What are the legal hours within the City of Weatherford to sell alcohol?
  • Can the City regulate the sale of alcohol or where it is sold?
    • The City of Weatherford does not regulate the sale of alcohol but does limit where it can be sold. With the zoning ordinance adopted in January 2011, the sale of alcohol inside the City of Weatherford is limited to C-1 Commercial zoning districts, CBD Central Business District, and C-2 Commercial/Interstate zoning districts.
  • What are the City ordinances regarding alcohol sales?

Further Questions?

  • Contact the City Secretary at 817-598-4202.